October 25, 2014

Posts from October 25, 2014

Telling stories, humanizing people

October 25, 2014

My story with Global Voices started with Lingua, translating posts from English to Spanish with the help of Juan, the editor in charge for translations in Spanish. I remember choosing posts from countries I’d always had an attraction to, and then reading and visiting blogs from all over, clicking and...

Becoming integrated into the global society

October 25, 2014

In 2004, Taiwan suffered from its most distressed election since we started to elect our president directly in 1996. At that time, I studied in Boston. Struck by the information on Internet, I asked my friend how I can help. My friend told me to contact Portnoy, and he may...

We are here now and ready to act!

October 25, 2014

I am girl activist of Kyrgyzstan. I live in the country where somebody speaks, acts and decides instead of us, where violence, injustice, discrimination, hate are normal. I believed and believe now that I can change our world, even if it is not so easy, but I can and I...

Singing Presidents and Way of Thinking

October 25, 2014

As many of other GVers, I found Global Voices by Google, and, as many, I love Google for that. I wanted to train my English and translation skills, but as I have no significant experience the only possible way was volunteering. So I've just enter “переводы волонтёрство” (translation volunteering) and...

My little secret, now disclosed

October 25, 2014

Friday 8pm, friends leaving the office in Mexico City. SA: – I can't wait to go home, take a shower, go to a bar and have a cold beer (or two or more). IC: – I can't wait to go home, put on my pjs and translate a blog for...

I've been seeing you around!

October 25, 2014

You've been around for the last years but I never had the chance to talk to you. I even was invited to join but for some reason it didn't happened. I went the other way, joined Demotix I remember. You've been so close! I've heard so many things about you!...

From Local to Global

October 25, 2014

In April 2008 I was very surprised to receive an email from a stranger asking me to contribute to Voices Without Votes, a Global Voices project for the U.S. presidential that year. I still don’t know how Amira Al Hussaini found me but six years later her resourcefulness and tenacity...

Share the Magic

October 25, 2014

The generosity of a feminist blogger – and a fortunate stroke of serendipity – got me into Global Voices in the Autumn of 2008. I had just settled back home in Porto, living alone for the first time after half a year teaching in Timor-Leste. The experience in the antipodes...