Happy years of listening, translating , writing… and talking!

Three days ago, a new thread started on the GV-Community mailing list: from Georgia Popplewell, it read:

“Congrats to our Cambodian friend Sopheap Chak, who was honoured in a speech by President Obama at the Clinton Global initiative for her human rights work.

Sopheap's organisation, The Cambodian Center for Human Rights, is also a recipient of a 2014 Rising Voices grant. We're very proud of you, Sopheap!”

To date, it has 41 answers, and more are likely to come, as is the case every time we celebrate an accomplishment of a community member, or engage in one of those heated online debates with many voices chiming in.

It was my pleasure to meet Sopheap in real life at my first GV Summit in Santiago, 2010, and a greater pleasure still to tell her that she was the one who ushered me of sorts into this beautiful community. In fact, my translation test into Lingua French was her interview with Tharum Bun: I had been given the choice of the post by mentor and friend Claire Ulrich, and the test became my second published translation, under the title: Cambodge : Une nouvelle vague de blogueuses.

Some 6 years and 2,500 posts later – mostly translations, short or long, and a few self-authored posts – on my side, Sopheap had completed her studies in Japan and the U.S., and is now a worldwide recognized leader for her human rights work and civic engagement in Cambodia.

As Rezwan put it:

“Congrats Chak. You met two US presidents on the same day :)”

Chak Sopheap with  President Clinton

“It turns out I met two US presidents at the same time”. Sopheap took this picture with former Pres. Clinton during her attendance in 2014 Clinton Global Initiative hosted in New York City.

Speaking of US President? Back in 2008, there was this moment of grace and hope, the campaign and election of Barack Obama, when many in the world held their breath and felt that change was at hand. And with this moment came this beautiful GV project, Voices without Voices, led by Amira Al-Hussaini and which is now sleeping in the depths of the internet's archives.

The impulse to be part of this exciting venture was compelling, and Amira guided my first shaky steps as a fledgling author with her firm and gentle hand.

Thus I came to do a survey of some first reactions to Barack Obama's election in the francophone world.

Please don't infer from these accounts of “firsts” that I am looking in the rear-view mirror. Indeed those past years were full and rich in every sense. We learned and are still learning what makes us strong. The joy to be and work together.

Suzanne Lehn nominated Thalia, Abdoulaye and Boukary to the GV Challenge.

8 comments

• Wow, Suzanne! 2,500 posts later on your own? I need to say Merci Beaucoup to you about 2,501 times and it would not be enough :) Thank you ever so much for sharing your reflections. I found this photo for you :)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/cambodia4kidsorg/7809018106/

• Sahar Habib Ghazi

Thank you, Suzanne! What a lovely story. So great to get a glimpse into the personal relationships that connect us and bind us in this GV universe. And 2005 posts – wow!!

• I still have your garment you gifted me in Chile, Suzanne! :) I love how you say “The joy to be and work together”.

• […] Suzanne Lehn (France): “Back in 2008, there was this moment of grace and hope, the campaign and election of Barack Obama, when many in the world held their breath and felt that change was at hand. And with this moment came this beautiful GV project, Voices without Voices, led by Amira Al-Hussaini and which is now sleeping in the depths of the internet's archives. The impulse to be part of this exciting venture was compelling, and Amira guided my first shaky steps as a fledgling author with her firm and gentle hand. Thus I came to do a survey of some first reactions to Barack Obama's election in the francophone world.” (Read full post here) […]

• […] Suzanne Lehn (France): “Back in 2008, there was this moment of grace and hope, the campaign and election of Barack Obama, when many in the world held their breath and felt that change was at hand. And with this moment came this beautiful GV project, Voices without Voices, led by Amira Al-Hussaini and which is now sleeping in the depths of the internet's archives. The impulse to be part of this exciting venture was compelling, and Amira guided my first shaky steps as a fledgling author with her firm and gentle hand. Thus I came to do a survey of some first reactions to Barack Obama's election in the francophone world.” (Read full post here) […]

• […] Suzanne Lehn (Francja): „Już w 2008 roku, był to moment wdzięku i nadziei, kampania i wybory Baracka Obamy, gdy większość ludzi na świecie wstrzymała swój oddech mając nadzieję, że nadejdą zmiany. Wraz z tą chwilą nadszedł ten piękny projekt  GV, Głosy bez głosów, prowadzone przez Amirę Al-Hussaini, który obecnie drzemie w głębi archiwów internetowych. Impuls bycia częścią tego ekscytującego przedsięwzięcia był nie do odparcia, zaś Amira podała mi swoją pomocną dłoń oraz ukierunkowała moje pierwsze niepewne kroki jako świeżo upieczony autor w jej firmie. W ten sposób stworzyłem ankietę dotyczącą pierwszych reakcji na wybory Baracka Obamy we francuskojęzycznym świecie”. (Czytaj więcej tutaj) […]

Cancel this reply