My Lesson on Dignity

When I started to volunteer as a translator for Global Voices, I had already been a keen reader for years. My first translation has been a quick read by Rami “A Lesson on Dignity from Syria“.

When I looked up my first translation and it turned out to be that quick read, I was really surprised, because it actually summarizes quite well what Global Voices means to me and in how far it changed my life. It of course also reminds me again for how long citizens of Syria are now withstanding and struggling…

- pausing for a moment –

Speaking of Syria: Many many thanks to Marcell! Your words go straight to my heart. It is such a pleasure to translate your letters into German. I love your humor and your authentic and brutally honest descriptions and so far, I always translated your letters with a smile on my face and tears in my eyes.

And Syria is also one of the reasons why I made contact with Global Voices…. to advocate for voices unheard, to defend freedom of expression and fight censorship. I met so many courageous and dedicated people who contribute to citizen participation and an inclusive society. I now notice far more the voices of the ones unheard and became more sensitive to the missing voices within mainstream media noise.

I am fully convinced that if we want to achieve changes on a political level, changes should begin within our respective communities in daily life. Our global voices community fascinates me by our transparent way of communication which even does not hesitate to upload discussion on editorial issues and internal change processes on YouTube

With the first translated text “A lesson on human dignity” my own lesson on dignity within the Global Voices community got started, which became and is still one of the most rewarding learning experiences for myself.

2 comments