Translator Newsletter: Bilingualism, Translating prose, and more!

gvlogo

Happy Monday everyone!

For the past few months, I've been putting together a newsletter for the Spanish-English translator group and Gohary, our fearless Lingua leader, recently pointed out that other Lingua groups might benefit from it as well. So here is the first Lingua-wide installment of the Translator Newsletter! You can also find it up on the Community Blog here. –

Does bilingualism make us smarter?

Screenshot taken from the Terminology Coordination blog.

Screenshot taken from the Terminology Coordination blog.

According to this post up on Terminology Coordination, people who are bilingual are better at multitasking, focusing, remembering number sequences, and retaining information! Plus it may help you avoid dementia later on in life. Take a look at the post & the video in the link to learn more!

7 Questions to a Linguist

Screen shot taken from ALTA blog.

Screen shot taken from ALTA blog.

ALTA is kicking off a series of interviews with language professionals and they're starting with Dr. Farooq Kperogi, a professor and journalist from Nigeria who focuses on the different types of English in the world. In this interview, Kperogi talks about what got him into the language field, his current projects, and something he called “Glocal English”. Read the full interview here!

Translating Beauty

Screen shot taken from the Asymptote Journal.

Screen shot taken from the Asymptote Journal.

“Can you translate beauty if it isn't beautiful otherwise?” Sue Burke, a Spanish-English translator based in Madrid, explores this question in her most recent post for the Asymptote Journal. She writes,

“Languages also have different rules for beautiful prose, based both on cultural inheritance and on the possibilities and limits of each language within its grammar and vocabulary.

I translate Spanish to English, and I often face the delightful task of transforming beautiful Spanish prose into beautiful English prose. To do that, I have had to learn to appreciate the standards of beauty for each language, which share little in common due to different historical trajectories.”

Click here to learn more and tell us if this applies to your experience translating in your specific languages.

Translation partners

Screen shot taken from the Thoughts on Translation blog.

Screen shot taken from the Thoughts on Translation blog.

Corinne McKay, super-guru of classes for freelance translators & business tips for those starting out in the industry, recently wrote about how having a partner in your translation business can be a huge help. Read more here and if you do freelance work, tell us — do you work with someone?

—–

And that's our newsletter! As always, thank you all for your hard work and dedication to GV!

Start the conversation

Authors, please log in »

Guidelines

• Please treat others with respect. Comments containing hate speech, obscenity, and personal attacks will not be approved.