- Global Voices Community Blog - https://community.globalvoices.org -

Weekly Writing Tips: Coming Up With Story Ideas

Categories: Writing Tips

The Weekly Writing Tips are a collection of best practices for writing and reporting at Global Voices. September's tips are brought to you by Rezwan [1]regional editor for South Asia [2].

Writing GV posts can be challenging. I know that even for many regular contributors, it can be difficult sometimes to find a topic to write about. They may have already read a few comprehensive articles about a breaking news topic and don’t know what value his or her writing would bring (aka someone else has done it, so why should I?) or they may be suffering from a bout of writer's block.

If you have time but you're not sure what to write about, it always helps to think about the area of interest in which you'd like to write. Perhaps you’ve been concentrating on one topic or issue for some time but have skills or experience in other issues; then maybe you can try for a change.

The new authors can start with a topic that they know most about. In doing that, they will be able to write comfortably about stuffs they know in depth.

There are a variety of ways that you can come up with ideas for a blog post.

Once you've come up with an idea, the next step is to determine how you want to approach it. In the next edition I will discuss how to source the citizen media opinions and widen our perspectives.

Please let me know if you have any questions!