Over the last year, we have slowly and steadily been building our subediting team to work with you and newsroom editors to produce clear, contextual and well-sourced news reports — that meet our mission and editorial code.
If you have written a story for Global Voices recently, you might have encountered one of our subeditors in the editorial comments section of your post.
Who are these people and what are they doing?!
Some of you may have bumped into Georgia or Janine on a beach in Trinidad, or maybe you were at the Cebu Summit — and got to hang out with Chris, Kevin, Ellery, Lauren or me — but for many, we might just be names that suddenly pop up in comments on your posts.
In this short video, we introduce you to our small global team of subeditors.
The subediting team organically grew out of our existing newsroom and operations. News Editor Lauren Finch and Runet Echo Editor Kevin Rothrock help subedit on weekdays. Central Asia, Caucasus and Turkey Editor Chris Rickleton subedits on weekends, along with Janine Mendes-Franco, our Caribbean (Kevin helps out on some Sundays too.) Managing Director Georgia Popplewell edits our Bridge section and Advocacy Director Ellery Biddle edits our Advox stories. You might also see me pop in occasionally, on weekdays or weekends.
Subeditors go through your posts, and work with you and your regional editor, to make sure that:
- All facts are linked to credible sources.
– The story has the necessary context for readers across the world the understand.
– Language is clear and concise for our readers and translators.
– The story and its angle or approach are in line with our mission and editorial code.
– The tone and language of the post is balanced and fair.
– The flow of information in the post follows the inverted pyramid, with the most important and interesting elements at the top.
– The story has a headline and lead that will capture a wide global audience and support our mission.
Hope you enjoy watching the video! Let us know if you have any questions about subediting in the comments section.