Translator Newsletter: UN Internship Opportunities, Bilingual Social Skills, & More!

GVlingua

Hello, GV'ers!

Welcome to this week's edition of the Translator Newsletter! Today we're talking about…

Interning at the UN!

UNcareersEver dream of being a translator at the United Nations?! I know I have. Well now's your chance! The United Nations Department for General Assembly and Conference Management (DGACM) is offering internships 13 internships, including translating into Chinese, French, Russian, Spanish, and English, as well as verbatim reporting, editing, and knowledge management. Find all of the listings here and note that the deadline is March 30, 2016!

Bilingualism and Social Skills

nytimesWe've all heard about the countless benefits of knowing more than one language — and now there's more to add to the list! According to this article in The New York Times,

“Now, two new studies demonstrate that multilingual exposure improves not only children’s cognitive skills but also their social abilities.”

Even simply being exposed to another language without being able to speak or understand it contributed to better communication skills among children. Read on and let us know what you think!

Tips for Freelance Translators

Screenshot taken from atasavvynewcomer.org

Screenshot taken from atasavvynewcomer.org

As freelance translators working for translation agencies, some of the people we communicate with the most are project managers. The good folks over at The Savvy Newcomer put together this list of tips for new freelancers directly from PMs to help us manage workflows, build good relationships, and lots more.

Revitalizing the Indigenous Languages of Mexico

Screenshot taken from Vimeo

Screenshot taken from Vimeo

A new initiative called “68 tongues, 68 hearts” is an animated project looking at preserving indigenous languages throughout Mexico and our very own Rising Voices wrote a wonderful post (including videos) about it here! As a translator and lover of languages, the quote below stood out to me the most:

“The indigenous languages encompass a unique vision of life and of the world. Their disappearance would imply a loss of the unique world view and existence of each community; an important part of humanity.”

Meme of the Week

I don't think there are enough translator memes out there for me to make “Meme of the Week” a regular thing unfortunately, but I stumbled upon another great one and couldn't help but share:

translatormeme

—————

As always, thank you all for your hard work and dedication to GV! If you have any questions, comments, or ideas, feel free to email me at marianna@globalvoices.org.

2 comments

Cancel this reply