Translator Newsletter: Brain Rewiring, Love in Translation, & More!

GVlingua

Hello, GV'ers!

Welcome to this week's edition of the Translator Newsletter! Today we're talking about…

Rewiring Your Brain

Screenshot taken from https://www.weforum.org

Screenshot taken from https://www.weforum.org

Did you know that being bilingual rewires your brain? According to this fantastic post by the World Economic Forum and Quartz, “research suggests that mastering two languages can fundamentally alter the structure of your brain”. Read on to find out how and also check out this great video they posted on Facebook summarizing the article.

What Can We Do To Improve?

Screenshot taken from www.asymptotejournal.com

Screenshot taken from www.asymptotejournal.com

As professionals in our field, we are always looking for ways to grow as translators and become better at what we do. In this edition of “Ask a Translator with Daniel Hahn“, he spoke about what translators can do to improve their skills and talks about everything from intensive workshops to simple things like reading and writing. Read on and let us know what you think! Do you have any of your own tips to share?

Love in Translation

Screenshot taken from www.newyorker.com

Screenshot taken from www.newyorker.com

This incredible article by Lauren Collins talks about her journey through falling in love and communicating with her husband, a native French speaker. I don't know about you, but I definitely feel like I have different personalities depending on the language I'm speaking. I'm more expressive when speaking the languages I'm more fluent in and vice versa. So how do you show your true colors in a language that isn't your own? Read about how Lauren did it here and if you've been through something similar, tell us about it!

Getting Clients to Pay on Time

Screenshot taken from blog.hubspot.com

Screenshot taken from blog.hubspot.com

And now for the useful-skills portion of our newsletter! We've all been there — we do a job for a client and then never hear back from them about payment. Try as we might to send emails and reminders, and still fail to get compensated for our hard work. Well fear no more! The good people over at Hubspot put together a list of 9 Useful Strategies for Getting Clients to Pay On Time. Do you have some of your own that don't appear on this list? Share them!

—————

As always, thank you all for your hard work and dedication to GV! If you have any questions, comments, or ideas, feel free to email me at marianna@globalvoices.org.

If you're reading this newsletter for the first time and want to join Global Voices, tell us more about yourself here!

1 comment