Hi everyone, I hope you are having a great week. We recently shared about our progress earlier this month on the NewsFrames Initiative, which hopefully started to clarify things. Let me highlight one bit from it:
Currently we're thinking that NewsFrames Teams, through their Leads/Stewards and Members, will jointly pursue NewsFrames research “investigations.” We also know that we want this tool to support our authors and editors whether or not a team wants to take advantage of MediaCloud tools. In other words, we know that evidence-driven investigation isn't only about leveraging data science or statistical power, but it is most importantly about scoping the possibilities and challenges appropriately to begin with.
In order to get things really going, we need to figure out how these Teams will work. That's why we're hoping to hire a couple of inaugural NewsFrames Team Leads/Stewards, to start as soon as possible (mid-October, we hope). You can find a description of what we're looking for below and how to apply by October 6 (next week)!
Thanks for tuning in, and we'll be in touch with another update on NewsFrames very soon.
NewsFrames Team Lead/Steward
Our NewsFrames Initiative is underway! In collaboration with MediaCloud.org, we are in the process of designing a tool that will enable the GV community to generate empirically-based reporting and conclusions through a collaborative team process.
A little more about NewsFrames. What is it again?
The NewsFrames toolset will help us better understand how topics are being “framed” or represented in the media, such as: “What does Nepal think about the US, at least according to its major news outlets?” It may also help us to find deeper insights into the production and sharing of information — what's going on behind certain perspectives in the news — such as “who is saying what about the August 2014 Israeli Air Force missile attack near the entrance of a United Nations school in Rafah?”
More about the NewsFrames project and development can be found in the following posts:
What is the Team Lead/Steward?
To get things really going, we are looking to hire the first NewsFrames Team Leads/Stewards. These Leads will support the development of NewsFrames, by helping to define NewsFrames Team dynamics while undertaking pilot research themes or “investigations” (e.g. countries such as Bolivia, or topics such as religion, are all still to be defined). The Lead(s) will report to the NewsFrames Initiative Director and work in collaboration with identified members of the GV community. Responsibilities will or may include:
- Defining investigation parameters, team to-dos, and supporting team contributions to new primary source collections
- Learning how to use the MediaCloud tools in collaboration with others
- Brainstorming potential investigation topics
- Gathering community feedback on NewsFrames and contributing to design and planning
- Documenting how-to guides and other help documentation
- Weekly/bi-weekly check-ins on progress
- Recruiting, explaining and sharing information about the project with the Global Voices community, through regular communication with the community through various channels, such as WhatsApp, Google Groups and the Community Blog
- Publishing stories related to the investigations.
Ultimately, successful work will result in the establishment of research parameters/team members tied to at least one investigation and a working model of NewsFrame Team operations by the end of 2016.
This is a ⅓ to ½ level of effort role, to be compensated at the GV editorial range. The position will begin no later than mid-October through the end of the year, with the possibility of extension. Though future work will include a number of different language research opportunities, professional-level English is required for now. In addition, you are likely to:
- have skills and experience in GV authoring/editing;
- be able to learn new technologies quickly, especially those dealing with information search, e.g. you are not afraid of Boolean syntax, and also like working with new technologies;
- be comfortable in under-defined environments, and enjoy defining processes and policies (helping to define systems make you tingle with happiness);
- be good with communication on distributed teams, and at being a facilitator — serving as a guide is something that comes easily to you, or you have gained those skills along the way;
Skills and expertise that will also help your consideration include: interest or depth in data science or digital journalism tools, as well as the guidance of research or investigative project or team.
How to apply
If you are interested in applying, please submit your resume and short answers to these questions:
- Share a GV article or other brief non-fictional work of yours that you’re particularly happy with (or at least made you happy upon completion), and tell us what makes it or made it satisfying to you.
- What about the NewsFrames Team Lead/Steward role appeals to you, and why are you a good fit?
Send your application to newsframes [at] globalvoices [dot] org by October 6 (11:59pm Eastern Standard Time) with this subject heading: “NewsFrames Team Lead/Steward Application” in order to be considered. More than one position may be hired. Feel free to also any questions to the email address above as well.