GV Board Elections 2017: Rawan Gharib

Hello, beautiful minds and elegant souls of the world, my fellow GVers :)

Rawan and her brother in Cairo International Book Fair

My name is Rawan Gharib; I am one of the Arabic Translation Managers, based in Cairo. I am also an author with a focus on Latin America/Middle East cultural nodes. I have also had the recent privilege of working with Rising Voices on the Mother Language Meme Challenge campaign.

I have been puzzled by the charm of communication, and the cruelty resulted from the lack of it since I can remember. I belong to a generation who stayed suspended and open, since that moment where the Egyptian revolution sparked in the 25th of January, longing for the new and the fulfilling. For example, the new having fun trend at that time were International/National Days where each country could get a showy corner of its culture.

I remember my friends and me enjoying the lightness of safely lost strangers, who kept dumbly and passionately jumping around, tasting the food and trying customs on, with many beautiful, loud folk songs in the background all in harmony. Whenever we got tired, we could rest home near the African corners.

A few years later, as an avid Internet surfer, I stumbled upon Global Voices. It made me feel the same way, yet more attentively and mindfully with an honest and keen willingness to know others. I quickly became a frequent visitor and soon after (September 2015) I decided to volunteer as a Spanish/English into Arabic translator.

I am running for the GV Board Elections as a volunteers’ representative because it would be a great opportunity to know and represent each and every one of you in a better way. Representing volunteers is about sharing our thoughts together to keep Global Voices the ideal platform representing a real image of our world, when it gets all confusing and weary. I am looking forward to sharing this with you.

Let’s keep shaking walls and building bridges!

Find me on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

14 comments

Cancel this reply