Are you a Global Voices community member who has a sharp eye for detail, thinks creatively and collaboratively, and believes deeply in our editorial code  and mission? If you are, the newsroom is looking for you!
We are in need of a sub-editor to help support the newsroom for 15-20 hours each week, Monday to Friday.
What is sub-editing?
Sub-editing is the final edit that Global Voices stories receive before publication. This process can range from a headline tweak and a typo fix to something more substantial.
Sub-editing at Global Voices is never top-down, but a conversation with authors, translators, and regional editors. The goal is to make the valuable perspective of our community accessible to as many readers in this world as possible. Read “A Conversation on Editing ” for an idea of our approach.
The weekday sub-editor will:
- Sub-edit stories that are submitted during a designated time period in a timely fashion
- Make sure stories have a clearly articulated lead and nutgraph 
- Correct any typos, misspellings, or grammar mistakes
- Edit language for flow and comprehension, while maintaining the author's voice
- Request additional context to improve understanding
- Suggest ways to tie a story more tightly to Global Voices’ mission 
- Suggest accurate but eye-catching headlines and excerpts
- Fix any formatting or style issues
- Communicate any confusion or doubts about the story to the author, translator, or regional editor in a clear, respectful, and friendly way
- Follow up on the sub-editing conversation to ensure timely publication
Successful candidates for the position will:
- Be multilingual, with fluency in English
- Have proven news-sourcing, news-writing, and editing ability
- Be skilled at expressing themselves clearly but sensitively in a virtual environment
- Not be afraid to ask questions
- Be creative, organized, and reliable
- Have a sound understanding of Global Voices’ editorial mission
- Be a member of the Global Voices community
Submit a CV and a brief cover letter that highlights your experience and explains why you would make a great sub-editor to firstname.lastname@example.org by June 1. Please include your name and “Weekday Sub-Editor” in the subject line.