- Global Voices Community Blog - https://community.globalvoices.org -

Translator portraits: For Amadou Lamine Badji, It all Comes Down to Optimism and Openness to Others

Categories: Community, General, Languages, Lingua, Translation, Translator Profiles, Interview
Amadou

Amadou Lamine Badji, photo transmise

Amadou Lamine Badji has been a regular contributor to Global Voices in French for nearly five years [1] now.  The texts he selects are highly varied in subject, as shown by his recent translations: What's in a scarf? A Robot Restaurant in Bangladesh Serves Up Controversy [2] (17 December); Traveling Japan By bus… On YouTube [3] (13 November), and Netizen Report: Will Egypt's Jailed Activists Ever See Justice? [4] (23 October).

He lives in Dakar, the capital of Senegal, and submits himself to our scrutiny via email.

Global Voices (GV): Amadou, who are you?

Amadou: Wow, c’est une question philosophique ! Je suis un terrien qui né et a grandi au Sénégal il y a un demi-siècle. J’ai fréquenté un collège international et j’ai visité quelques pays du monde comme le Japon – voyage culturel – et le Canada pour quelques études en management (BAA) dans les années 90. Je suis une personne optimiste et ouverte aux autres comme d’usage au Sénégal. Je suis aussi considéré comme poète depuis 2010 par Nosside [5] et quelques poètes du Sénégal.

Amadou: Wow, that's a philosophical question!  I'm an earthdweller who was born and bred in Senegal half a century ago.  I attended an international college and I've visited several countries, such as Japan – for a cultural trip – and Canada for some BAA (management) studies in the 90s.  I'm an optimistic person, open to others, as we tend to be in Senegal.  I'm also considered a poet by Nosside [6] and several poets of Senegal, since 2010.

GV: Tell us how you got to find out about Global Voices, and what made you want to join in?

Amadou: Ma curiosité d’internaute m’a fait tomber sur GV quand j’ai commencé à faire des traductions plus ou moins bénévoles en ligne en 2010 et j’ai tout de suite aimé l’accueil sympathique reçu de Claire Ulrich [7], l’esprit de diversité et la convivialité de GV. Je me souviens aussi avoir rencontré quelques semaines après mes débuts sur GV en mars 2013 Marie-Laure Le Guen [8] à Dakar alors qu’elle se rendait au Kenya. Cela m’avait beaucoup impressionné de voir si vite de face un membre de GV !

Amadou: My user curiosity landed me on GV when I first started more or less voluntary work as an on-line translator in 2010 and right away I appreciated the kind reception I got from Claire Ulrich [9], GV's spirit of diversity and conviviality.  I also remember meeting Marie-Laure Le Guen [10] a few weeks after my debut on GV in March 2013, in Dakar on her way to Kenya.  I was really impressed to see a member of GV face to face so soon!

GV: You're a regular and faithful contributor.  The articles you translate deal with a great variety of countries and subjects. What are your criteria for choosing them?

Amadou: J’aime traduire les articles qui mettent en évidence tout ce qui est optimiste, original, nouveau, tout ce qui montre la beauté de la diversité culturelle, le potentiel d’internet et de la technologie et aussi le respect des droits universels – une des principales lignes éditoriales de GV.

Amadou: I like to translate articles which showcase the optimistic, the original, the new – anything which shows the beauty of cultural diversity, the potential of the internet and technology, and also respect for universal rights – one of the main editorial lines at GV.

GV: In your first year at GV in French, you wrote an article on Aimé Césaire [11].  Can you tell us about that?  Any other subjects you'd like to write about?

Amadou: Oui je me souviens de cet article que j’ai écrit avec les encouragements pressants d’Anna Guèye [12] – Paix à son âme. C’était durant la période où j’essayais d’écrire ou de participer de temps en temps aux concours de poésie – je le fais toujours d’ailleurs selon l’inspiration et la disponibilité. C’était l’anniversaire du centenaire d’Aimé Césaire et aussi celui de l’affaire du meurtre raciste du jeune noir américain Trayvon Martin.
Je préfère traduire des articles qui reflètent mon opinion d’une certaine façon plus que d’écrire, c’est peut-être par paresse…

Amadou: Yes, I remember that article, which I wrote on the warm encouragement of Anna Guèye [13], God rest her soul.  It was during the time I was trying to write or take part from time to time in poetry contests – something I still do, for that matter, when inspiration and availability permit.  It was Aimé Césaire's centenary, and also the anniversary of the racist murder of the young black American Trayvon Martin.
I prefer translating articles which reflect my own opinion in some way, to writing.  Maybe it's lazy of me…

GV: Are there links between your GV activity and your professional activity?

Amadou: Oui depuis 2010 ce lien existe car je travaille depuis 1993 à Dakar sur des missions ponctuelles comme Chargé de projets en administration, marketing et traductions. Traduire sur GV me permet de me tenir informé des tendances.

Amadou: Yes, that link has existed from 2010, as I've worked since 1993 in Dakar on ad hoc assignments as an Administration, Marketing and Translation Project Officer.  Translating on GV helps me keep myself informed on trends.

GV: What languages do you use a) professionally, and b) in your personal life?

Amadou: Je pratique le français et l’anglais sur le plan professionnel et personnel en plus du Ouolof et d’un peu de Diola et d’arabe à travers le Saint Coran.

Amadou: I use French and English in the professional sphere, plus Wolof and some Jola, and Arabic through the Holy Qur'an.

GV: You're also one of the most active and reactive members of the GV French language contact group.  What does this “virtual” community mean to you?

Amadou: J’aime beaucoup le groupe GV auquel je m’identifie. J’ai fait remarquer à Gwen Lefeuvre [14] que ses traductions démontraient une certaine sensibilité africaine et qu’elle et moi traduisions des articles aux thèmes similaires.
Quand j’ai vu aussi qu’elle vivait à Brighton, je lui dit que j’avais lu «  Le rocher de Brighton » de Graham Greene dans ma jeunesse Gwen m’a alors fait découvrir le romancier de Brighton le plus en vue en ce moment Peter JAMES en m’envoyant par la poste un de ses derniers romans «  Dead man’s grip  ». C’est ainsi que nous sommes devenus un peu plus amis.

Amadou: I really like and identify with the GV group.  I'd pointed out to Gwen Lefeuvre [14] that her translations show a certain African sensibility and that she and I translate articles on similar themes. When I saw she also lived in Brighton, I told her I'd read ‘Brighton Rock’ by Graham Greene in my youth.  Gwen then introduced me to the most prominent present-day Brighton writer, Peter James, sending me in the post one of his latest novels, ‘Dead Man's Grip’.  That way we've become more friendly.

GV: Any wish for future GV coverage?

Amadou: Pas vraiment, je crois que GV respecte sa ligne éditoriale – la défense des libertés, des diversités et de la liberté d’expression surtout. Je suis heureux d’avoir appris hier que le Premier Ministre éthiopien annonce la libération prochaine de tous ses prisonniers politiques et en particuliers ceux du blog des neuf. J’ai le sentiment d’y avoir contribué indirectement par nos traductions sur GV.

Amadou: Not really.  I think GV respects its editorial line – defence of freedom, of diversity, and, above all, freedom of expression.  I was delighted to learn yesterday that the Ethopian Prime Minister has announced the imminent freeing of all its political prisoners and in particular those of the Zone 9 Bloggers [15].  I feel like I contributed indirectly to that by our translations on GV.