GV Board Elections 2020 Volunteers’ Rep. Candidate: Khojasta Sameyee

Khojasta Sameyee is from Afghanistan. She has a Bachelor's degree in Mining Engineering and is currently I am studying pursuing a Master's in Business Administration. For the past five years, she has worked as a journalist with various media outlets in Afghanistan. In 2018 she was recognised for her reporting on women, peace, and security with a UNDP/N-Peace award. She established a women-led newspaper and is now working on my own newspaper. She joined Global Voices in August 2018.

All candidates in the 2020 board elections have been asked to answer a set of questions. Feel free to ask Khojasta additional questions in the comments area below this post!

What appeals to you most about the prospect of serving on the GV board?

I am working with Global Voices since 2018 as a volunteer author and I appreciate the works and efforts of the GV members that raise the voices of people in marginalized countries. It is really amazing that the people in the world read about your country and its situation. I welcome this opportunity to become more engaged with the GV and work for raising the voices of people around the world.

What talents, skills, connections, and expertise can you offer Global Voices in your role as board representative?

As I am working as a journalist in a conflicted and under war country for 5 years in different media outlets as a presenter, editor, radio program producer and now as the head of a women-led newspaper, I will share my working experience and skills which I earned in a much patriarchal society and where that women rights were extremely violated.

As you look ahead to the next three years, what, in your opinion, should be GV’s overarching priorities as an organization?

In my opinion, GV increasing the audience and adding more languages should be GV’s overarching priorities. For example, there is a smaller number of people in Afghanistan who is familiar with GV and it works, why because GV doesn’t operate in Persian/Dari. The more audience we have the more popular and familiar we become.

Start the conversation

Authors, please log in »

Guidelines

• Please treat others with respect. Comments containing hate speech, obscenity, and personal attacks will not be approved.