How did the pandemic affect people's lives around the world? Global Voices’ translators share their stories

Global Voices (GV) relies on a community of translators who, together with our authors, drives our global coverage. For example, since news of the virus first arrived from China, Global Voices Spanish translators have been translating daily COVID-19 news updates. Translators have always been an integral part of Global Voices because they create a bridge between diverse language communities. Many have been even more active since the start of the pandemic. Global Voices translators share their experiences living through the pandemic in Chile, Mexico and Italy, among other places, and explain how they have adapted their daily routines under lockdown.

Mexico City-based GV translator Samantha Santos talks about what it's like to see her city deserted:

Soy mexicana y vivo en la Ciudad de México, que se ve bastante desierta y da una sensación extraña de soledad porque la CDMX nunca había parado.

Estoy en proceso de adaptación a esta nueva realidad. Trato de llevar un vida sana y lo más rutinaria posible, pero en general, extraño todo. Y al mismo tiempo valoro y agradezco más.

Estamos ante la oportunidad de una nueva forma de ver y vivir la realidad, para poder hacer cambios profundos. Esta pausa nos hace ver que la otredad es parte de mí y yo soy parte de la otredad.

I am Mexican and I live in Mexico City, which now looks pretty deserted. It leaves a strange feeling of loneliness because CDMX [Mexico City] has never stopped before.

I'm in the process of adapting to this new reality. I try to lead a healthy life and have a good routine, but overall, I miss everything. At the same time, I value and appreciate things more.

We are being given the opportunity for a new way of seeing and experiencing reality in order to make profound changes. This pause makes us see that the ‘other’ is part of me and I am part of the ‘other’.

Maria Angélica Marin from Chile, tells us:

La actual pandemia, como a todos, me tomó por sorpresa con cosas en marcha, tratando de establecer prioridades, con un fémur recién quebrado. Felizmente no me ha molestado más de lo estrictamente necesario, ya superado su “periodo mas delicado”.

Trato de seguir un poco las noticias sobre el comportamiento de la pandemia en los continentes, sus particularidades y los caminos tomados para hacerle frente. Me preocupan los países muy subdesarrollados sin recursos presupuestarios para enfrentar lo que significa gastos para hacer frente a la situación sanitaria producida por este mal.

Like everyone else, the current pandemic caught me by surprise at a time when I already had things going on. I was trying to set priorities and had recently suffered from a broken femur. Fortunately, it hasn't bothered me more than it needed to, since it has already passed the “most delicate period”.

I try to follow the news a bit to find out about the pandemic's spread across the continents, its characteristics and the measures taken to deal with it. I am concerned for the significantly underdeveloped countries that do not have the budgetary resources to respond to the health situation caused by this disease.

GV contributor Lara Pruna speaks about the long journey that she made from Japan to her native Spain during the pandemic:

A mí me sorprendió el virus en Tokio, Japón. Justo mi visado finalizaba justo en mitad de la pandemia, y debía volver a casa, en Sevilla, España. Después de muchos intentos de encontrar y tras varias cancelaciones de vuelos, conseguí volver con mi familia. En los dos días de viaje vi cómo se iban intensificando las medidas de seguridad: el desierto en el que se habían convertido los aeropuertos, cada vez menos tiendas abiertas, el rechazo de dinero en efectivo en París y las interrogaciones, algo intimidantes, de la Policía de Madrid. Fui afortunada al encontrar un único sitio en la estación de Atocha, Madrid, que vendía comida, pues ese día no volvía a mi casa hasta entrada la noche.

I was surprised by the virus when I was in Tokyo, Japan. My visa was just ending right in the middle of the pandemic, and I had to go home to Seville, Spain. After searching for flights and after many cancelled flights, I managed to return home to my family. During the two-day trip, I saw how security measures were intensifying: airports were being abandoned, fewer and fewer open shops, not being able to use cash in Paris, and the somewhat intimidating interrogations by the Madrid Police. I was lucky to find a place in Madrid's Atocha station that sold food, because that day I did not return home until late at night.

Alan Emilio Suárez is Colombian and lives in Italy. He tells us of his experience under lockdown:

Mi experiencia con la cuarentena fue más bien tranquila. Como en muchos otros países, se cometió el error de subestimar el contagio y sus efectos.

Pese a no tener un trabajo formal, pude seguir trabajando desde casa; soy ingeniero químico, y trabajo como profesor privado de materias científicas, como las llaman acá (matemáticas, física, química…), por suerte he podido seguir trabajando con muchos de mis alumnos. A veces hago traducciones al español.

Aproveché el tiempo para entrar en dos comunidades (Colapsología América Latina, y Transición Colombia, por ahora virtuales). También empecé a participar como voluntario en una asociación colombiana para hacer tutorías virtuales dos chicos de bajos recursos que necesitan ayuda para seguir conectándose con su escuela para hacer sus tareas escolares.

My experience with the quarantine was rather quiet. As in many other countries, the effects of the virus were severely underestimated.

Despite not having a formal job, I was able to continue working from home; I am a chemical engineer, and I work as a private professor of sciences, as they are called here (mathematics, physics, chemistry …), luckily I have been able to continue working with many of my students. Sometimes I do translations into Spanish.

I took advantage of the time to join two communities (Latin America Collapse, and Colombia Transition, virtually for the time being). I also became a volunteer for a Colombian organisation that provides virtual tutoring. I did this for two low-income boys who need help to connecting with school and doing their homework.

From Spain, Lourdes Sada shares her experience:

El confinamiento me pilló en un pueblo (en la provincia de Huesca, al norte de España). A veces me acerco a la capital para la compra, pero compro sobre todo en la tienda local, con mascarilla y guantes. Allí hacemos tertulia hasta que llega nuestro turno de atención. Es lo bueno de conocer a todo el mundo.

Tuve la suerte de empezar un trabajo que se puede hacer desde casa justo antes de que comenzara el confinamiento, así que he cambiado poco de vida. Aunque cuando tengo menos faena intento traducir algo para Global Voices (GV).

Lockdown caught up with me in a town (in Huesca province, in northern Spain). Sometimes I go to the capital to go shopping, but I'll usually buy at the local store using a mask and gloves. We chat in line until our turn arrives. That is the good part about knowing everyone.

I was fortunate enough to start a job that can be done from home just before lockdown began, so my life has not changed all that much. But when I have less work, I try to translate something for Global Voices (GV).

As for Romina Navarro, who lives Buenos Aires, Argentina, she is trying to take advantage of more time at home:

Estoy haciendo teletrabajo, pero la actividad bajó bastante y me deja un poco más de tiempo libre. Eso lo aprovecho para distintas actividades, como más traducciones y artículos para GV.

También leo más artículos y veo algunos webinars de mi interés, veo series y películas, participo en “vivos” de amigos y conocidos que son músicos, escritores, etc., y por supuesto, disfruto más a mis gatos (que me padecen a mí, jaja).

I am working remotely, but activity has dropped quite a bit so I am left with a bit more free time. I am taking advantage of that for different activities, such as completing more translations and writing articles for GV.

I also read more articles and watch webinars, series and movies. I participate in meetups with friends and acquaintances who are musicians, writers, etc., and of course, I am enjoying my cats more (who have to put up with my presence, haha).

Carlos Castillo, from Santiago, Chile, compares the situation in his city to that of a patient who does whatever they want:

Santiago de Chile se encuentra en cuarentena desde el inicio de la pandemia en el país. El quehacer diario transcurre preferentemente durante la mañana ya que en la tarde el poco comercio abierto comienza a cerrar sus cortinas. Al estallido social de octubre, se sumó esta contingencia.

Nuestra idiosincrasia está cimentada en un grado de irresponsabilidad alarmante, lo que se refleja en un gusto por evadir restricciones sanitarias y cuarentenas. Hay quienes no quieren que sus hijos vuelvan a clases, pero los llevan a hacer trámites de inmensas filas.

Santiago presenta síntomas de un paciente enfermo, pero que rehúsa guardar reposo. Trata de hacer su día a día de la mejor manera posible pese al dilema de contraer el virus o no tener dinero para sobrellevar la cuarentena.

Santiago has remained under lockdown since the pandemic first got to the country. Daily chores preferably take place in the morning because, by the afternoon, the few shops that are open begin to shut their doors. This has been added on top of Octobers’ protests.

A unique aspect of our lockdown is the alarming degree of irresponsibility, which is reflected in a taste for evading sanitary restrictions and quarantines. There are those who do not want their children to return to classes, but they take them to do paperwork in long queues.

Santiago has the symptoms of a sick patient who refuses to rest. He tries to continue his day-to-day in the best way possible, despite the dilemma of contracting the virus or not having enough money to cope with lockdown.

From Lima, Peru, Gabriela García Calderón, shares her experience from the Peruvian capital:

Desde hace cuatro años trabajo en casa, así que la orden de #QuédateEnCasa no afectó mi rutina. Con pena tuve que dejar mi práctica diaria de yoga, que me hacía empezar mis días de lunes a viernes a las 6 a.m. He limitado mis salidas a lo estrictamente necesario, es decir, comprar alimentos y medicamentos. Es duro para quien como yo gusta de caminar para ir de un lugar a otro, a veces hasta cuatro kilómetros.

No queda más que seguir las recomendaciones, no hacer caso a las malas noticias y mucho menos a las falsedades que solamente buscar generar pánico.

I have been working at home for four years, so the call to #StayAtHome did not impact my normal routine. Sadly, I did have to stop my daily yoga practice that started my day from Monday to Friday at 6 a.m. I have reduced my outings to what is strictly necessary, in other words, buying food and medicine. It is hard for those, like me, who enjoy walking to get from A to B, sometimes up to four kilometres of walking.

All there is left to do is to follow the recommendations, ignore the bad news, much less the false news that only aims to create panic.

Under a pandemic, Global Voices translators continue to translate stories from around the world.

Start the conversation

Authors, please log in »

Guidelines

• Please treat others with respect. Comments containing hate speech, obscenity, and personal attacks will not be approved.