- Global Voices Community Blog - https://community.globalvoices.org -

Meet Cyrine Alaya, Lingua French translator

Categories: Celebration, Community, Contributor Profiles, Lingua, Translator Profiles
[1]

Image courtesy of Cyrine Alaya.

Global Voices: Tell us about yourself—who exactly is Cyrine Alaya [2]?

Cyrine Alaya: I am a young Tunisian translator who loves languages, cultures and travel. I have always been fascinated by the unknown. I am constantly looking for new adventures, but also new ways to enjoy doing the things I love.

Becoming a translator has always been one of my dreams. I have always seen this job as a rewarding one where I would learn things every day, continue to grow while breaking cultural barriers, and maintain a view of the other, the unknown, and do so at all levels of society.

Today, I am lucky enough to fulfil my dream and to make a living from my passion. This is the greatest of privileges!

GV: When did you join GV and what motivated you to do so?

CA: I joined GV in December 2020. At the time, I was in my first year of my MA in Translation and was looking for opportunities to further improve my skills while helping a worthwhile cause. Therefore, I spent a lot of time looking on the internet, and I sent an application to several international organisations and communities, including GV.

GV: Tell us more about your experience as a translator for GV. What aspects of the role have made the strongest impression on you?

CA: I have learned so much through GV. By the way, I would like to thank the entire team for their considerable efforts, and especially the proofreaders with whom I’ve spoken to several times over email over the past two years. I have really appreciated all these discussions, as they have enabled me to improve my translation and writing skills. These constructive discussions and criticism are very important, and I have learned to accept them. This is the key to progress.

GV: As our translator of the month, any words of encouragement to offer our contributors?

CA: Practice makes perfect. Translate. Translate every day. You won’t be able to improve your skills if you don’t practice translating regularly. Furthermore, GV publishes articles relating to different topics. Personally, this has enabled me to build glossaries that have been very helpful in my work, but also in my studies.