GV Board Elections 2023 Contractors’ Rep. Candidate: Mariam Abu Adas

Mariam Abu Adas. Photo by Georgia Popplewell.

Mariam Abu Adas is a project manager and creator of digital content. She has been GV's Middle East and North Africa editor since September 2022, and also works with Rising Voices and Lingua in Arabic. Mariam has over 15 years of experience in the field, working on digital rights issues and leading community and gender programmes in Europe, North Africa and the Middle East. She has a master's degree in applied Anthropology and Youth Work and is particularly interested in minority languages and digital rights in the MENA region.

All candidates in the 2023 board elections have been asked to answer the set of questions listed below. Feel free to ask Mariam additional questions in the comments area below this post!

What appeals to you most about the prospect of serving on the GV board?

Serving on the board of Global Voices provides a unique opportunity to collaborate with talented, creative, and conscientious individuals who share the goal of fostering a more informed and connected global citizenry. By amplifying marginalized voices, we can make a positive impact in a world where oppression uses many tactics. As someone from the MENA region, I have a personal understanding of the damaging effects of these tactics and the importance of countering them through the work of organizations like Global Voices.

What talents, skills, connections, and expertise can you offer Global Voices in your role as board representative?

I’ve had the privilege of being part of the Global Voices community since 2007, contributing in various capacities such as a translator, project manager, event coordinator, and recently as a regional editor.

I also have over 15 years of experience in leading community programs, particularly focused on youth and gender, in both physical and digital spaces. My work has centered around the intersection of language, freedom of expression, and digital rights.

My professional experience includes managing operations, providing administrative support, and facilitating communication between multiple stakeholders, in addition to editing and translation.

With a diverse range of experiences, I possess a strong ability to navigate complex cultural, social, and political contexts, enabling me to contribute effectively towards achieving the board’s goals.

As you look ahead to the next three years, what, in your opinion, should be GV’s overarching priorities as an organization?

Post-pandemic, Global Voices needs to prioritize creating more opportunities for community members to meet, learn, and collaborate.

At the newsroom, priorities include exploring paid opportunities for contributors, advocating for fair pay and rights for contractors, and supporting editors, researchers, and admins while maintaining community-building and flexibility.

Expanding Rising Voices projects into new regions is essential for empowering marginalized communities and combating oppression and discrimination in a world with shifting power dynamics.

Providing more skill-building opportunities and acknowledgment for Lingua volunteers.

Promoting Advox to take a more prominent global role, which includes vocalizing support for individuals and causes that align with Advox’s mission.

What aspect of GV’s work interests you the most?

It is hard to pick a favorite, as someone who likes being involved in different aspects of GVs. However, I have a weak spot for language minorities around the word generally, and in the MENA region especially. In the future, I hope to dedicate more time to this important cause.

What would you like to get out of this board service experience, both professionally and personally?

I believe that serving on the board would be a fulfilling experience both personally and professionally. It would provide me with the opportunity to engage more with the GV community and collaborate with talented individuals, which will help me on both improving my skills and developing new ones, such as problem-solving, strategic planning, and leadership.

How will you fit board service into your personal and other professional work commitments?

I have successfully balanced multiple commitments in the past and I am confident that I can do the same with board service though communication, organization and prioritization.

What methods would you use to engage and listen to the community in order to represent them effectively at board level?

I consider myself a people person. I plan to use all the tools at my disposal to engage with and support the community, whether it's through social media, email, or good old-fashioned carrier pigeon. I'll be there to lend an ear, offer advice, or do whatever I can to help.

Start the conversation

Authors, please log in »

Guidelines

• Please treat others with respect. Comments containing hate speech, obscenity, and personal attacks will not be approved.