- Global Voices Community Blog - https://community.globalvoices.org -

Meet Ingrid Patetta, Lingua French Translator

Categories: Contributor Profiles, Lingua, Translator Profiles
This is a picture of Ingrid.

Image courtesy of Ingrid Patetta [1]. Used with permission. Photo by Georges Heilmann

Global Voices: Tell us about yourself—who exactly is Ingrid Paletta? 

I am an English and Spanish into French freelance translator.

After working as a film editor and a postproduction tutor for 20 years, I have decided to learn more about audiovisual translation and subtitling. Other areas I am interesting in are editorial translation, communication, international development and ecology. I am also training as a medical translator.

My dream would be to work as a literary translator (I was lucky enough to translate a few chapters from one of my friend's autobiography and I have learnt a lot from this experience).

GV : When did you join GV and what motivated you to do so? 

I joined Global Voices in January 2023, after finishing a translation course. My motivation was to strengthen my knowledge and put it into practice, while helping a community that helps spread messages from people we do not often hear about in general media.

GV : Tell us more about your experience as a translator for GV. What aspects of the role have made the strongest impression on you?

Collaborating with Global Voices is a rewarding experience, thanks to the variety of articles you can find. Project management is extremely enjoyable, because volunteers are free to pick articles that are of interest to them, that touches them, or simply articles about subjects that they love.

Moreover, translators get to have their names at the top of the article, which is gratifying and useful when building a portfolio!

GV : As our translator of the month, any words of encouragement to offer our contributors?

I am still a “new” translator, but I can pass on advice that I was given and that I still follow today: persevere, put into practice and keep learning!