Global Voices (GV) seeks a web developer to work on a wide range of technical needs for Global Voices websites and projects.
As a web developer, you will work with the GV development team, under the supervision of the Tech Lead, to enhance and maintain the various GV WordPress sites and web applications (https://globalvoices.org). You will be involved in all stages of development, from brainstorming to final testing.
There is no geographic requirement associated with this position; Global Voices has no office or physical headquarters. Candidates must be comfortable setting their own schedules and working in a wholly virtual environment.
We strongly welcome candidates from outside North America and Western Europe, and we encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply.
The position is treated as a freelance contract. Work will be compensated on a monthly basis based on itemized hourly billing.
To express interest in this position, please use the Job application Google Form.
- Collaborate remotely on web development tasks using Git, Slack, Zoom, Trello, and Google Docs.
- Develop WordPress plugin and theme code using PHP, HTML, CSS, and JS.
- Help establish publishing workflows using WordPress custom and public plugins.
- Write and use detailed documentation of code and procedures.
- Use Google Analytics to investigate user behavior and test possible solutions.
- Interact with and debug server setups including Nginx, Varnish, MySQL, and Redis.
- HTML and CSS
- PHP and object-oriented programming
- PHP debugging and optimization
- MySQL databases and SQL queries
- WordPress theme development, template hierarchy, “the loop” etc.
- WordPress plugin development, actions and filters, Options API, Settings API, Taxonomies
- Multilingual content management, Internationalization, and RTL design
The ideal candidate will also be proficient in the following
- WP REST API
- Google AMP
- Google Analytics and its API
- Facebook Instant Articles and integration with WP
- Nginx, Varnish, and debugging full-stack issues