As 2019 comes to an end, thank you Global Voices!

GV_15

Dear GVers!

As we near the end of 2019, I want to take a moment to thank every one of you. We've written and published some of our best work in our history. Our writing, attention to detail and care have really shined this year. Our passionate and strong editorial team remain committed to supporting all of us in our efforts to tell our stories. I wake daily eager to see what we've been able to produce, and to learn from all of you.

And we do all of this thanks to your dedication, focus, and generosity. 2019 hasn't been the easiest year for us, as funding scarcity has made it difficult for us to support the full complement of editors we'd like to have, to grow, improve our tech, and support the community as much as we'd like. And yet our traffic has improved, the issues we write about increasingly recognized by the mainstream, and we still have an abundance of energy, connections, and plans.

This despite a year of difficult and increasingly hazardous politics in many of our homes, where online spaces are less safe than ever, and both real-life and online rights are increasingly impinged. Our work on digital rights has been especially strong this year in Sub-Saharan Africa, East Asia and Central and Eastern Europe and Eurasia, even as we grapple with protections for our contributors who are vulnerable to attack from some governments, political parties, trolling networks and others who seek to restrict rights to expression and civic participation.

As we celebrate our 15th birthday (15! woo!), I'll say just once more, thank you for all you do, and for keeping the spirit and mission of Global Voices close!

Start the conversation

Authors, please log in »

Guidelines

• Please treat others with respect. Comments containing hate speech, obscenity, and personal attacks will not be approved.