Call for writers: Global Voices seeks pitches for digital rights stories

Image credit: Electronic Frontier Foundation [CC-BY].

Note: We are no longer accepting pitches for Lebanon, Liberia, Namibia, Rwanda, and DR Congo as part of this call. 

Global Voices seeks pitches for analytical stories on threats to human rights in the digital space. The stories will be published as part of UPROAR, a project by Small Media that urges governments to address challenges at the Universal Periodic Review (UPR).

Commissioned pieces can focus on, but are not limited to:

• A specific case of an individual or group facing a direct threat (legal, physical, digital) due to engaging in online speech in the public interest
  • A specific law (proposed or in force) in the target country that is having/will have a demonstrable effect on digital rights
  • A multi-case “trend” explainer, which shows how a single law, regulatory action, or issue of public concern in one of the target countries appears to be having a significant impact on digital rights in the country, or even in the region.

We are currently looking for authors to write about the following countries: Lebanon, Liberia, Rwanda, Namibia, Sierra Leone, The Gambia, Senegal, and Democratic Republic of Congo.

Stories should follow the GV style guide and the Advox editorial guidelines and the word-limit for each story is 1,000 words.

Please email your pitches to afef.abrougui@globalvoices.org.

Authors will be compensated $150 USD.

2 comments

• Greetings, I am Mark Mengonfia, a Liberian journalist with 11 years of experience in the field of journalism.
    I report for New Republic Newspaper Liberia, contribute to News Public Trust and I am currently serving as the Secretary General of the Reporters Association of Liberia, the biggest auxiliary of the Press Union of Liberia.
    I seek this opportunity to ensure that people’s rights to social media are not violated. In Liberia, people are jail, threatened to issue lawsuits against them because of their post on social media.
    Top government officials, ordinary citizens in Liberia have issued legal action because of post or comments on social media.
    Locally, some of these issues of threats due to social media posts are published but what I think is that with this focus by Global Voices, more attentions is going to be given it.
    I hope I am included on this team of volunteers to raise the voices globally.
    Regards and hope to hear from you in time.