Thank you, GVers, for all your contributions in February 2022! Here are some of the month's highlights:
Welcome to the following new contributors who published their first GV story or translation in February 2022:
Alicia, Ayọ̀délé Ìbíyẹmí, cchaleat, Colin Reilly, Dalila Neri, Dren Gërguri, Gastor Mapunda, Hannah Gibson, Justin Aukema, María Romina Ponce, Omar Boutine, Roman Shemakov, Roof Top Info, Said Isse, سمية أشرف محمود, شتيلا يعقوبي, فاطمة الزهراء براهمية, مها الغنيمي.
Media and conference appearances and other achievements by GVers:
February 4: Social media team member and Bahasa Indonesia translator manager Juke Carolina Bransiecq was the keynote speaker on a two-hour webinar hosted by Circles Indonesia about theoretical Geopolitics titled “Geopolitics: a discipline or doctrine?” Due to the success of the webinar, Circles Indonesia has invited Juke to develop a four-part series on theoretical geopolitics based on her academic research.
February 8: Our Eastern Europe editor Tanya Lokot moderated a panel titled “Digital Transformations” at the “Beyond Borderland: 30 Years of Ukrainian Sovereignty” conference hosted by Harvard University's Ukrainian Research Institute's Temerty Contemporary Ukraine Program (TCUP).
February 8: GV board member Rasha Abdulla appeared in a video feature on Deutsche Welle Arabic highlighting her love of dogs.
Our sub-Saharan Africa co-editor Nwach Egbunike's paper “Digital Africa—from youth movements to government bans” was published in the peer-reviewed journal Democracy & Development Journal of West African Affairs.
Number of stories published on GV in English in February 2022: 88 (down from 98 in January)
Number of translations and original stories published on Lingua sites in February 2022: 434 (up from 331 in January)
The 10 most active Lingua sites in February 2022:
- Global Voices en Español 97 posts
- Global Voices teny Malagasy 49 posts
- Global Voices στα Ελληνικά 35 posts
- Global Voices en Français 22 posts
- Global Voices in Italiano 18 posts
- Global Voices Advox 17 posts
- Global Voices по-русски 15 posts
- Global Voices em Português 20 posts
- Global Voices Arabic 12 posts
- Global Voices na srpskom 12 posts
Total pageviews (all sites) in February 2022: 558,328 (up from 440,739 in December)
Top 10 posts by pageviews in February 2022 (includes only recent posts):
- Unexpected reaction in Prague after Russia's invasion of Ukraine by Filip Noubel (109,436 views)
- Why Beijing’s artificial snow at the 2022 Winter Olympic Games is stirring controversy by Richard Wanjohi (6,693 views)
- ‘Your’dle: Wordle is now available in many of the world’s languages by Tanya Lokot (5,426 views)
- セント・ビンセント島の住民 スフリエール山の噴火に備え避難準備 by Janine Mendes-Franco, translated into Japanese by Masato Kaneko (5,125 views)
- Private abuse in Telegram’s ‘Public Rooms': Can North Macedonia fight online sexual harassment? by Unbias The News (3,610 views)
- Undertones: What Russian media says about the Russia-Ukraine crisis by Civic Media Observatory (3,466 views)
- Russia and Latin America: So far, and yet so near by Connectas, translated into English by Alicia (2,544 views)
- Ukrainian refugees gather at the borders with Moldova, Slovakia, Poland by Filip Noubel (2,099 views)
- Travel bans, Japan and me by Nevin Thompson (1,754 views)
- Who are the African athletes competing at the 2022 Beijing Winter Olympics? by Richard Wanjohi (1,659)
Top 15 countries from which people visited GV sites in February 2022:
1. United States
3. United Kingdom