Happy 10th Anniversary to Lingua Russian!

Only a small part of the Lingua Russian team.

Recently, for the Lingua Russian team celebrated a special day — it was 10 years since our very first translation was published on April 30, 2008.

Global Voices were established in 2005 at the meeting of bloggers at Harvard University as a community of people who believed that in the age of the Internet «speech need no longer be controlled by those who own the means of publishing and distribution, or by governments that would restrict thought and communication» as «everyone can tell their stories to the world». The small English-language project has since turned into a net of websites published in 30 different languages — our volunteer translators work hard to make the stories told in English available for the netizens all over the world. In 2006, volunteers started translating GV articles into Chinese, and in 2008 the Russian-language team started its work.

Our first translation was of an article about the Rising Voices fellowship for media covering the issues of healthcare for marginalized communities, while the second one highlighted the reaction of the Russian-language bloggers to the news that the Russian government had officialy recognized independence of Abkhazia and South Ossetia. During the last 10 years, following the development of our team, the scope of our interests has been constantly evolving: in 2010 almost all of our reports were related to Russia, but they gradually became more and more diverse, and in 2018 the most covered by our team countries are Iran and China. Politics has always been the most popular among our themes, while the topic occupying the second position is always different: it were the issues of digital activism in 2011, protests in 2012, and human rights from 2013 onwards. The third most popular topic of our articles at this time is the freedom of speech.

But the mere statistics is inadequate to re-tell even a small part of the stories we have translated for the Russian-speaking audience: from the Bahrain protests of 2011 to the human side of the migrant crisis, from the threates faced by bloggers in Bangladesh to the Syrian civil war.

All this have been made possible thanks to our team of volunteer translators who are generous enough to invest their free time in the development of the project. Presently our team is comprised of 31 active translators, while in the course of the last 10 years more than 200 people have contributed their time translating nearly 5,500 articles.

That’s why today we would like to share with our readers the stories of and congratulations from some of our translators.

Liudmila Tomanek joined Lingua Russian in December 2016 and since then has translated 131 articles:

Я присоединилась к проекту Global Voices в конце 2016 года в качестве переводчика-волонтёра и с тех пор не представляю себя вне этой глобальной и вместе с тем ставшей для меня такой близкой семьи. Global Voices  дарит мне возможность озвучивать по-русски голоса тех, у кого их пытаются отнять, делиться историями первоклассных журналистов, несущих в наши дома истории о жизни людей по всему миру. Я поздравляю русскую секцию проекта Global Voices с юбилеем и желаю ей и всему проекту расти, процветать и монополизировать СМИ. Пусть это будет монополия добра, справедливости, открытости и честности и многочисленных других составляющих всемирной семьи Global Voices!

I joined Global Voices in the end of 2016 as a volunteer translator and since then I haven't been able to imagine my life without this global and at the same time tight family. Global Voices presents me with an opportunity to give Russian voices to those who are usually denied them, as well as to share the stories of high-class journalists who bring to us the stories of people from all over the world. On their anniversary, I congratulate the Russian part of Global Voices and wish them and the project as a whole to keep developing, flourish and one day to be able to monopolize the media. Let it be the monopoly of kindness, fairness, inclusiveness, honesty, and many other aspects that characterise Global Voices international family.

Julia Hvesko has translated 24 articles starting from December of 2017:

Родилась я и живу в Беларуси, расположенной в центре Европы. Беларусь – страна с великолепнейшей природой, где есть четыре поры года. По гороскопу я водолей. А как известно, в большинстве своём Водолеи новаторы, они искренне стараются сделать жизнь лучше и желают окружающим добра, ведь главным их качеством является человеколюбие. Да, я именно такая. Но раньше я по большому счёту была теоретиком, а сейчас стараюсь делать реальные дела. Потому что верю, что даже один человек способен на многое, а если у него есть поддержка и единомышленники, то реализация идеи и её воплощение в жизнь будет происходить гораздо более высокими темпами.

Признаюсь честно, первоначально основной моей целью было подтянуть английский язык.  Английский язык я учу дома самостоятельно и хотелось попрактиковать его знания на реальных проектах. Выбор пал на Global Voices. Однако в процессе участия в проекте я поняла, что не только совершенствую свои знания английского языка, но и, уже в ходе перевода, я узнаю много того, чего не знала раньше. Я как бы начинаю смотреть на мир более широким и открытым взглядом.  Отрадно осознавать, что, находясь здесь, в небольшой и мало кому известной Беларуси, я могу быть в курсе того, что происходит в далёкой Африке или Америке. Спасибо за это GV.

Мир меняется стремительными темпами. То, что раньше казалось невозможным, сегодня – вполне обыденные вещи. Старое, отжившее себя уходит, и на его место приходят новые идеи, новые подходы, новое отношение. В этом динамическом мире главное выбрать правильное направление, в котором придётся двигаться не только самому, но и повести за собой других. GV уже доказали, что они за гуманность, а не жестокость; за этичное отношение к природе, а не беспощадную её эксплуатацию; за свободу, а не за рабство. А благодаря проекту  Lingua Russian в правильном направлении может двигаться и русскоязычное общество. Желаю Lingua Russian первоклассных переводчиков, мотивированных открыть глаза на мир тем, кто к этому готов; благодарных читателей, в чьей душе можно оставить след и которые способны не только к созерцанию, но и к размышлению; щедрых меценатов, понимающих важную миссию проекта и не жалеющих средств на помощь в её осуществлении. С юбилеем Lingua Russian!

I was born and am now based in Belarus, the country located in the center of Europe. Belarus is a country of beautiful nature; all four seasons of a year are present here. My zodiac sign is Aquarius. People born under this sing are generally known to be innovators, they sincerely try to improve life quality and are friendly to others — benevolence is their main feature. It’s definitely about me! But there was a time when I used to be that only theoretically, now, however, I try to practice what I preach, for I believe that even one person can make a change. If they have the support they need and are surrounded by like-minded individuals, any idea can be brought to life much quicker.

I must admit that at first I joined the project mostly to improve my English. I study the language at home by myself and was on the lookout for projects that would give me a chance to practice it in real life. I chose Global Voices. In the process of translating I, however, understood that not only was I improving my language skills, but also learning about a lot of things I had no idea about. I was starting to be more open to the world. It’s nice to know that being here, in the little country few know about, I can be aware of what’s going on in faraway Africa or America. I thank GV for this opportunity.

Today the world changes in the blink of an eye. What used to seem impossible became ordinary. The old and obsolete is being replaced with new ideas, new approaches, and new beliefs. The most important thing in this new dynamic world is to choose the right direction to go and to lead others. GV has already proven that they stand for humanism as opposed to brutality, for ethical treatment of nature as opposed to ruthless exploitation of it, for freedom as opposed to slavery. And thanks to this project, the Russian society also has a chance to get a feel for it. I wish Lingua Russian high-class translators who are motivated to expand the worldview of their readers; grateful readers prone to contemplation; generous patrons sympathizing with the important mission of this project and willing to spare their resources for its further development. Happy anniversary, Lingua Russian!

Vera Andrusevitch also joined us in December 2017 and has already translated 16 articles:

Я живу в городе Воронеже, преподаю английский язык и воспитываю троих детей.
О проекте Global Voices узнала давно, тогда еще училась на переводчика. Мне нравится читать и узнавать о разных уголках планеты, о радостных и тревожных событиях, происходящих в разных странах. А перевод — отличная возможность поделиться этими событиями с другими людьми.
Желаю проекту развития и популярности, много-много читателей! А всем его участникам желаю успехов!

I live in Voronezh, teaching English and raising three children.

I have known about Global Voices for a long time — since I was a translation student. I like to read and learn about different corners of the planet, about joyful and tragic events taking place in different countries. Translating is a great way to share such information with other people.

I wish the project continuing development and popularity, as well as the love of its readers. I also wish success to all its contibutors!

And Iryna Ivanova has been with us since February 2018 and has so far translated 5 articles:

Здравствуйте, меня зовут Ирина и я студентка первого курса факультета английской филологии университета SWPS. Я люблю языки, изучаю английский, польский и немецкий. Мне нравится расширять свои горизонты, а также помогать другим людям узнавать о том, что происходит за пределами их собственной страны.

Будучи сначала читателем этой газеты, а потом и волонтером-переводчиком, я могу с уверенностью сказать, что этот проект проливает свет на действительно важные для общества проблемы и затрагивает темы, которые замалчиваются во всем мире.

Я бы хотела поздравить всех участников проекта с 10-летием со дня образования Lingua Russian и пожелать дальнейшего развития, роста благодарной аудитории, вдохновения и реализации намеченных планов!

Hello, my name is Iryna and I am a first-year student at the English philology faculty of SWPS. I love languages and am currently learning English, Polish and German. I love expanding my horizons and help other people to learn about the events outside their home country.

Being initially a reader of this website and later a volunteer translator, I’m confident that this project sheds light on the really important issues and covers topics that others in the world try to avoid.

I congratulate all the participants of the project with its 10th anniversary and wish you further development, growth of your readership base, inspiration and realization of your goals!

Stay with us! We are in for another 10 incredible years!

1 comment