Global Voices (GV) is seeking a part-time Translation Manager for managing the translation of GV content into French.
Global Voices’ Lingua translation teams translate Global Voices content primarily from English into other languages. Lingua translation teams are led by a Translation Manager. Each Lingua translation team publishes its translations on a dedicated website that is part of the Global Voices network.
In addition to French translations from other languages, some of the stories appearing on the French Lingua website originate in French and are subsequently translated into English. The French Translation Manager, therefore, works closely with the newsroom on managing this workflow.
The French Translation Manager will be responsible for:
- Acting as a community and workflow manager for the French Lingua team
- Recruiting, orienting and training translators
- Working with translators on selecting stories for translation
- Driving promotion and engagement of French Lingua stories on social media
- Monitoring and reporting on website stats and social media stats and sharing with Lingua management and team members on a monthly basis
- Collaborate with Lingua management on methods of maximizing traffic and attention for content
- Convening periodic team meetings
- Working with the newsroom on managing the workflow for stories that originate in French
- Developing republication partnerships for Francophone content in collaboration with the newsroom
- Working closely with the newsroom on promoting Francophone stories in French
- Maintain French Lingua site updated
Successful applicants will have the following skills and qualifications:
- Native speaker of French
- High proficiency in English
- Ability to evaluate and edit French translations from English (additional languages are a plus)
- Skill and experience in community management
- Skill and experience in team leadership and teamwork
- The ability to work harmoniously with others in a loosely structured, virtual work environment
- Have high computer literacy
- Have reliable access to a broadband internet connection
- Be available for GV work about 20 hours a week
- Be able to demonstrate a strong commitment to Global Voices’ mission and values.
Global Voices is a global, virtual organization supported by the paid and volunteer efforts of people on every continent. The engine of the Global Voices newsroom is a team of part-time editors who work with volunteer authors around the world to highlight stories and perspectives that are underrepresented in international mainstream media.
There is no geographic requirement associated with this position; Global Voices has no office or physical headquarters. Candidates must be comfortable setting their own schedules and working in a wholly virtual environment and be prepared to do some international travel. The person selected for this position will report to the Global Voices Managing Director.
We strongly welcome candidates from outside North America and Western Europe and encourage people currently contributing to the Global Voices project to apply.
The position is half-time and is treated as a freelance contract.
GV French Lingua contributors are encouraged to apply.
Submit a résumé and a cover letter that highlights your work and explains why you would be a great fit for the position to us at firstname.lastname@example.org by 11:59 pm UTC November 20, 2019. Please include your name and “French Translation Manager” in the subject line.