· February, 2015

Posts about GV 2015 from February, 2015

Cross-border collaboration in the East Asia group

February 6, 2015

It is usually difficult to continue the discussions and to build up a strong tie for cross-border collaboration after we all came back home after the GV summits. In the GV summit in Cebu, the East Asia group had discussed offline about how to collaborate. Most importantly, we finally had our first group dinner!

How the Cebu Print Media Covered the Global Voices Citizen Media Summit

February 4, 2015

The open internet, freedom of information, the Philippine digital divide, and the promotion of local language use online are some of the issues that captured the attention of the Cebu mainstream print media which covered the Global Voices Citizen Media Summit last January 24-25. While members of the local press...

Our Voices: Juan Tadeo in Mexico

February 4, 2015

Nacido en Ciudad de México en los años ochenta, Juan Tadeo se graduó de derecho de la Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México (UNAM) en 2009 y desde su blog ejerce su derecho a la libertad de expresión y escribe de variados temas, de justicia, política, transparencia… y a veces música y fútbol para hacerlo...

Lingua Summit Discussion notes

February 4, 2015

PR STRATEGY Need a 360 degree strategy. Must be easy to translate TRAINING Need video guides in English Quick overviews Detailed walkthroughs Translated video guides Wiki docs to be transferred to Community site, translated to Lingua sites Remember to use long wiki docs (posting guide, translation guide, style guide) as...

Getting back home is never easy

February 3, 2015

I just wrote a post in my blog about GV summit and Marianna Breytman encourage me to post it here. But it is general information for those who does not know about GV, what we did in Philippines and who knows, may be I can help to recruit new authors. So...

Introducing Visual Storytelling

February 3, 2015

One of the sessions from the Global Voices Community meeting that I highly appreciated was the discussion on visual storytelling by GV Executive Director Ivan Sigal. The discussion looked at how new information and communication technologies and online platforms can be maximized to present narratives in new ways. The emergence...

Do We Feed the Trolls? A Fascinating Summit Discussion

February 3, 2015

At the Global Voices Summit this year, I had the pleasure of moderating a panel of experts, though expert for perhaps the wrong reasons: Each person on my panel had the unfortunate experience of being trolled online. The panel, crafted by GV editor Sahar Habib Ghazi and entitled “Do we...

An Incredible Journey

February 1, 2015

I've just spent a week in Philippines, a country at the other side of the world from my Peru, where this wonderful community known as Global Voices held its most recent summit. Travelling from Lima to Cebu, place of the event, is quite an experience. From the moment I knew...