We are Global Voices Germany

Who's behind the texts and translations of the German part of the Global Voices community? You can see profiles and who wrote and/or translated which articles but who are we and what connects us with Global Voices? This series of interviews want to have a more personal look at the people behind Global Voices Germany.

Isabelle

Isabelle. Use of image with kind permission.

Isabelle, 27. The United Kingdom. Translator and Editor at Global Voices.

When did you join Global Voices?

I have been translating articles for Global Voices since the beginning of 2015 and am a member of the social media team. Recently, I’ve also joined the editorial team of the German Lingua site.

Do you remember your first translation for GV and if yes, what was it?

I remember it really well. The article talked about visual art made by Burmese refugee children for a project called “Forced to Flee”, which has been published as a book in 2015.

What did you learn in your time with GV so far?

I have learned a lot so far and with every new article that I translate, I learn a little bit more. That’s the great thing about Global Voices: you get to deal with subjects and events which you might normally overlook or simply be unaware of.

What do you like about GV?

I especially enjoy being confronted with such a diverse range of topics. Because, even though I do tend to focus on articles about subjects that I am particularly interested in for my translations, it does happen quite frequently that I get to proofread or translate an article of a subject matter completely unfamiliar to me. Moreover, I find it very satisfying to be part of such a global and yet united community.

What are the particularly difficult and/or enriching aspects in translating texts for GV?

One aspect which intrigues me – not just in regards to Global Voices, but translating in general – is the opportunity to introduce people to subjects and issues from all around the world. Helping people become informed about events, which they wouldn’t normally read about, and enabling them to understand texts, which they normally couldn’t understand, is what motivates me. And even more so, if the topic at hand is something I am passionate about myself.

1 comment