· July, 2015

Posts about Community from July, 2015

“Radicals everywhere”: where do we all go wrong?

July 16, 2015

In the first two months of the year, we have witnessed the attack against a mosque in Sweden causing injuries to five people; the attack against the French magazine Charlie Hebdo which caused a 11 deaths; 60 attacks against mosques and Muslims in France; the North Carolina shooting in which a dedicated...

How Covering Black Twitter is like Covering [Insert Country Name]

July 14, 2015

The Los Angeles Times has hired a writer called Dexter Thomas to cover Black Twitter and other online communities. The Columbia Journalism Review interviewed Thomas in this piece, which focuses primarily—and perhaps predictably—on how he will approach Black Twitter. There are several points in the article where I thought Thomas could have...

What GV Has Taught a Newbie (Me)

July 13, 2015

I am writing this post now at my hometown, Bandung (Indonesia). I am here for Ramadhan, it is quite a tradition in my country for people to return to their hometown or go meet all people they hold dear in this period of time. The picture above shows my messy,...

Repackaging Global Voices Posts for a Specific Listening Audience

July 6, 2015

In 2013, the Global Voices Aymara team was awarded one of the Innovation Grants to try something new. The project called “Lingua Airwaves” sought to repackage GV posts into an audio format for radio listeners in El Alto, Bolivia. Many of the 1 million or so residents of the city...